Sunday, September 11, 2005

9-11-01

Well I wanted to take a few minutes to talk about my day on 9-11-01.

I was on my way back from San Francisco from a summer co-op. I woke up on the morning of the 11th on the western edge of Wyoming. It was around 9am eastern coast time and I stopped at a gas station to get gas and breakfast. I finished filling up and went inside, once I got in there I noticed a large truck driver and cashier crying at the counter, i walked outside to look around for a accident. When I didn’t see anything I asked what was wrong and they told me that a airplane had hit one of the towers at the world trade center. I paid and ran outside and jumped in my car to listen to the radio.

Right then the second one hit and the world realized that we where under attack. As I started driving I had never felt more alone. I was driving cross country by myself not knowing what world I was going to come back to when I got back to cincy.

If you listened to the radio and hadn’t seen TV that day you would know that there were tons of false reports about other actions, I remember hearing about Brooklyn Bridge being blown up, and san fran's city hall was hit by a car bomb, and so on and so on. I was totally freaking out. Shortly after 1pm I stopped at a large truck stop to gas up and was able to see the images first hand. I had never felt so sad in my life. I knew people who worked at the Pentagon and I was worried about them. But was struck me then is what happened at that gas station. I remember someone asking everyone to go outside and around 50 people gathered around the flag pole and held hands. Families, truck drivers, and some young people like me gathered while a few truck drivers said a prayer and everyone hugged and cried together. After that I got on the road and saw American flags everywhere. I saw a guy driving a BMW with his sun roof open holding a large American flag flying out of it. And then there was the guy on a bridge in Nebraska who had a sign that said God Bless America and he had an American Flag with him.

The next time I stopped for gas I paid over 7 dollars a gallon for gas. I had to pay with a credit car and luckily they had to reimburse everyone they over charged money back. At that point I decided I was going to drive straight back to Home to Ohio.

When I got to Lincoln Nebraska I was stopped on the highway and every car was inspected. If you remember the president was flown there after the attack. SO the National Guard was taking every step they could to secure the city. Honestly wasn’t the best way to secure it but they did check IDs and they did glance in every car.

Around 5am I almost ran off the road in Illinois and decided that I couldn’t drive anymore. SO I pulled off the road and fell asleep at a truck stop in the back of my SUV. The next day I got back home and was able to see my family and find out that my relatives and friends that worked in NYC and DC were ok.

I relive that day a lot in my dreams; I think that was the loneliest I have ever felt. To not have any friends or family near you on your countries darkest day really did a lot to me. I remember coming home and telling my dad I was going to drop out of school and join the army. Mind you that I only had like 2 years left at school and my father was not going to let me do that.

Now 4 years later we all have a heavy heart for those who died that day and those who have given their lives to defend our country. God Bless our troops and all the heroes out there. Thank you for giving everything up to make our country safe again.

4 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Blogger johnflynn68984715 said...

i thought your blog was cool and i think you may like this cool Website. now just Click Here

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Doctor Random said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Doctor Random said...

Don't you love it when you get spam in your comment section?

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger T-Merch said...

Oh yeah, that's the best!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home